Skip to main content

One of those Days...

Folks who read my Flying Mule Farm facebook posts (at might get the impression that lambing season consists of six weeks of bucolic bliss - of problem-free births, gamboling lambs, green grass and sunshine.  And while I do enjoy this time of year immensely, lambing season does offer its share of challenges.  Like any profession, shepherding offers good days and bad.  Yesterday was the latter.

My day started with the realization that the 3+ acre paddock I'd built on a steep hillside the day before only contained about 36 hours worth of grass for our 150 ewes.  Because of the terrain, the 12-net paddock had taken me about 4 hours to build.  I rearranged yesterday's schedule so that I could move the sheep onto fresh feed in the afternoon - and hopefully have time to go to a drought meeting and my daughter's high school soccer match.

Moving the paddock went fairly smoothly.  I started at 3 p.m., and by 5:15 I was ready to move the sheep the 200 yards to their new home.  Between the old paddock and the new one I'd built, we'd need to cross a small seasonal creek (less than 12 inches wide) and a blacktop road.

Ewes with new lambs are difficult to move - they want to stay put, and they want to fight the dogs.  Lambs that are 2+ weeks old can also be difficult - they have no fear of the dogs, and they don't understand that moving means going to fresh feed (the ewes, by contrast, know when I'm setting up fence that they get to go somewhere good).

About two-thirds of the sheep crossed the creek and the road and went right into their new paddock.  Another group stayed back with their lambs, but the dogs and I worked them across the creek and into the new field easily enough.  All we had left was approximately 20 lambs (without their mothers).  By now it was about 6:15.

These lambs would work their way down to the small creek and decide it looked like the Grand Canyon.  They'd then double back and run to the old paddock - back up the hill.  The dogs and I must have gathered and pushed them to the creek a dozen times.  We tried bringing a few ewes back to them so they'd get the idea that the creek was cross-able - no luck there, either.  Finally, as it grew dark, I called my friend Roger to help me.  He arrived with a flashlight, and at 8:25, we finally caught the last delinquent lamb and put her in the new paddock.  By then, all I had left to do was fill water troughs, feed the guard dog and hook up the electric fence.  I rolled into the driveway at home at about 9:10 - 14 hours after I'd left for the day.  Whew!

This morning, I'm happy to report, we were back in the land of bucolic bliss - all the lambs were mothered up, and we had a new set of twins born overnight.  Days like yesterday make me even more grateful for days like today!


Popular posts from this blog

Trade Offs

As we were building fence for the soon-to-be-lambing ewes this morning, someone drove by and asked my partner Roger how long it took to set up the electro-net fencing we use for the sheep. Roger replied, "It's not too bad," to which the driver said, "Seems like a lot of work." Roger's answer - which both of us use with some frequency, was, "Yeah - but this way we don't have to feed any hay!" The driver, who obviously wasn't a rancher, didn't understand - and I suspect even some of my rancher friends don't understand the trade off we're making. Building electric fence is a lot of work - wouldn't it be easier just to feed hay?

The paddock that Roger and I built this morning encloses about 5.75 acres of high quality forage. Since the ewes are on the verge of lambing, their forage demand is peaking. They're eating nearly twice as much grass now as they need in the late summer - after all, many of them eating for three (and p…

No Easy Answers Part 2

In mid October, some friends who graze their cattle in the mountains of western Lassen County (less than 200 miles from our home), became the first ranchers to have cattle “officially” killed by wolves in California in nearly a century. Wildlife officials confirmed that the Lassen pack killed a 600-pound heifer; four more heifers died (and were partially eaten by wolves), but the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) couldn’t confirm the cause of death. While I learned about the depredations shortly after they happened through the rancher grapevine, news of my friends’ losses weren’t made public until the California Cattlemen’s Association and California Farm Bureau Federation issued a joint press release this week. The October 28 edition of the Sacramento Bee ran the story.
If you’ve read my previous blogs about wolves, you’ll probably know that I’ve frequently been frustrated with the Bee’s coverage. The paper has run guest opinions disguised as news articles, and appar…

Humbled and Excited

More than 20 years ago, I went to work for the California Cattlemen's Association (CCA). After two internships, I'd been hired by my friend and mentor John Braly as the membership director in 1992. By 1996, I'd been promoted to assistant vice president - pretty heady stuff for a young guy who hadn't grown up in the industry. I started looking for new challenges. Dr. Jim Oltjen, who was (and is) the beef extension specialist at UC Davis (my undergraduate alma mater) suggested that I think about going to graduate school to prepare for a career in extension. I considered it, but the timing wasn't right.

Fast forward to 2013 (or so) - I'd been working as a part-time community education specialist in our local University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) office for several years. The farm advisors in the office - Roger Ingram and Cindy Fake - suggested that I consider getting a master's degree and applying for a future farm advisor job. This time the id…