One of the challenges of operating entirely on leased land at this time of year is that we don't currently lease any property that is set up specifically for sheep, nor do we have any long-term leases that would make it feasible to put up sheep facilities. Consequently, we're always adapting or making do with less-than-perfect circumstances.
Tonight's forecast is for rain and wind (up to 30 mph), with showers and even stronger winds tomorrow. I'm off to the ranch to check on the ewes and then to try to come up with some way to shelter all of the sheep over the next several days.
In the future, we may decide to lamb later in the year to minimize the likelihood of weather related problems. For now, we're adjusting on the fly.
More updates tonight!
If you've read my blog previously, you probably know that we try to use nonlethal livestock protection tools in our sheep operation. You...
Ranchers, myself included, are conservative by nature. I don't mean politically (although this is also true in many cases). Many of...
My sheep shearer, Derrick Adamache, tells a story about the value of wool 100 years ago. Relatively speaking, wool was worth much more in ...