Saturday, February 6, 2010

Turning

I just walked outside this evening.  The "peepers" (tree frogs, I think) were incredibly loud.  They generally start making noise in late January or early February.  While it's still winter, these little frogs are a signal that spring is coming (as are the sandhill cranes we'll hear and see later this month).

We almost always have a day in late August that feels like autumn - it's a bit cooler, and it smells like moldering leaves in the morning.  Similarly, we usually have a day in February that feels like spring - it's too warm for the heater in the truck and it smells like fresh grass.

I love the turning of the year.  We're so lucky to live in place with distinct seasons.  I enjoy each season, but I enjoy the change from one season to the next even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment