"No one should be without land to care for" - this is the vision of the Small Farms Conservancy. Lynn Miller, editor and publisher of the Small Farmer's Journal, and a number of other farsighted farmers and farm advocates started the Small Farms Conservancy in 2008 to "protect, sustain and inspire small farming worldwide." The organization's immediate projects and goals include:
- farm technology information services
- farmland preservation and protecting farms in trust
- enhancement of local marketing through regulatory problem solving, public relations and promotions
- establishment of an agrarian think-tank
- annual small farm awards and fellowships
- micro-loan programs
- farm and farm family insurance
- farmer retirement programs
- apprenticeship clearinghouse
- education advocacy
- farm caretaking services
- farmer's legal assistance
- estate planning
It's an ambitious set of goals, but each goal is essential to the continuation of small scale farming in this country (and probably around the world). I encourage you to learn more about the Small Farms Conservancy and to consider joining!
For more information, go to www.smallfarmsconservancy.org or send an email to email@example.com.