Wednesday, December 22, 2021

A Shepherd's Reflections on the Winter Solstice


As a kid, I knew with certainty that the longest night of the year was NOT the Winter Solstice - it was Christmas Eve! After all, Santa Claus didn't come on the morning after the Solstice. As an adult, however, I've come to appreciate both nights - I love the anticipation of increasing daylight and surprises in my stocking.

In the days leading up to the Christmas holiday, we build a fair amount of electro-net fencing. Our goal is to minimize the sheep work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (and again a week later, as the old year ends and a new one begins).  This morning, that meant moving the ewe flock up the road to fresh grass. Tomorrow, we'll take down fence from the old paddock and fence some fresh pasture for the sheep to graze early next week. A hard day's work tomorrow will mean that my only chores on Christmas Day will be to check fence and feed the livestock guardian dogs. As usual, my daughters will join me - with both of them away from home now, I relish every opportunity to share this Christmas tradition.

I know the winter months can be challenging for many - longer nights and days without sunshine can be depressing. For me, though, I like the sense of slowing down. I love the crisp winter afternoons when the setting sun shines through the leafless oaks. I love the sound of rain on the roof when I wake up before sunrise. I enjoy the muffled sounds on a foggy or (even better) snowy morning when I head out to do chores.

Part of my enjoyment, I'm certain, comes from the realization that without the long cold of winter, I couldn't appreciate the warm, bright days of spring and summer. But I suspect I'm actually a winter person. I like cold weather more than hot. I prefer warming myself in front of the woodstove to cooling myself in front of the swamp cooler. I appreciate the excuse to go to bed early with a good book.

Last night, before the rain started, the border collies and I enjoyed a campfire in the back yard. The fire - like the Christmas lights on our roof and the Christmas tree in our living room - dispels the darkness and chill of the longest winter nights. But as a winter person, the campfire also gives me an excuse to be outside after dark with nothing to do but sit and relax. To slow down. To go dormant for a week or two, like the longer dormancy of the grass in our pastures.

Happy Solstice!




No comments:

Post a Comment