Thursday, May 7, 2020

Still Wearing a Mask

Like everyone else, I'm sure, I'm growing tired of sheltering-at-home. These last 6-7 weeks have been an experience unlike any other in my lifetime. As I've written before, my work hasn't changed (much) - I'm still taking care of sheep, and I'm still enjoying my work as a Cooperative Extension advisor serving the ranchers and land managers of my region. But I miss seeing my friends in person. I miss seeing my oldest daughter, who had planned to come home from college this weekend to help us shear the sheep. Come Sunday (when we're done shearing and hauling sheep back to the ranch), I'll miss taking the crew out for a beer at one of our local breweries. Despite my longing for normalcy, however, I'm still wearing a face mask when I venture out in public.

This post is not meant to question anyone's motives who isn't wearing a mask; rather, I want to explain why it's still important to me. I'm not particularly worried about contracting COVID-19 - I think I probably already had it in February. Even if I didn't, though, my concern is protecting the folks around me. The cashiers and baggers at the grocery story, the clerks at the gas station, the older folks who are far more vulnerable than I. Based on the scientific evidence I've read, it's entirely possible that I could be infected and not have any symptoms - which means I could infect others and not know it. According to evolving scientific understanding of this virus, a face covering can help reduce transmission.

As a corollary to my reasoning then, I continue to wear a mask in public - and to stand at least six feet away from other people - out of respect for folks who may be uncomfortable with the whole situation. I wear my mask when I go to the farmer's market out of respect for my fellow farmers, whose marketing choices require them to be in regular contact with the general public. I wear my mask when I stop by my office to pick up mail out of respect for my county co-workers who don't have a choice about working from home until this pandemic subsides. I wear my mask when I purchase irrigation parts or livestock feed.

While the mask my wife sewed for me is quite stylish, I find it hot and uncomfortable. In the cool temperatures of morning, I find that my glasses fog up when I'm wearing my mask, making it difficult to see. When I feel annoyed about this, I think about the grandfather-in-law of a friend who lost his life to COVID-19. I think about my own parents, who are staying home and healthy. I think about the doctors and nurses - and orderlies and custodians - who come in contact with infectious diseases on a daily basis. My own discomfort seems pretty inconsequential.

As our communities return to work, even as the virus continues to spread, I'll keep wearing my mask. Not because I'm afraid for myself; out of respect and concern for my neighbors. And besides, as this photo suggests, I look pretty damn cool in my mask, my flat hat, and my shades!


No comments:

Post a Comment