Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Watching Other Dogs


As some of you will know, I've had the opportunity to observe a large number of livestock guardian dogs - both in my capacity as a livestock advisor with the University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) and in my private capacity as a shepherd (and a student of everything sheep). I've watched our own dogs and learned about the management approaches and behavioral characteristics that result in a dog that fits in our system. I've studied other people's dogs and learned even more about the relationship between dogs, livestock, and people. Over the last several years, I've used geographic position system (GPS) technology and trail cameras to try to learn about the relationship between dogs and predators. And recently, I've had the opportunity to observe dogs and livestock owned by other producers who use management systems different than ours. As the summer 2019 grazing season wraps up, I thought I'd share some of my recent observations.

Last week, I camped near Russell Valley north of Truckee to be able to watch Luis, who works as a sheepherder for Talbott Sheep Company, take his band of ewes (a band is roughly 1000 head of sheep) from their bed grounds (near his camp) out to graze. Last week, Luis' camp was located on the east side of the road that runs from Boca Reservoir north to Stampede Reservoir. Just after sunrise, Luis and his border collies worked the band across the road and down to the meadow adjacent to the Little Truckee River. This group of sheep is guarded by a single guardian dog (a second dog had decided to visit too many campgrounds, so he was relocated to a more remote band of sheep). The dog led the sheep across the road and down to the river to drink. But I use "led" loosely here; the dog was in front of the band, but the ewes seemed more intent on grazing than on following the dog. After they'd grazed for several hours, the sheep decided it was time to head back towards camp. At this point, Luis and his collies went back up the road to keep the ewes grazing in the meadow for another hour or two. The livestock guardian dog followed the sheep this time.

This week, after checking in with both bands of sheep in the Stampede region, I paid a visit to Squaw Valley Ski Resort. My friends Brad and Alana Fowler and Nathan and Kaitlyn Medlar are working with Squaw-Alpine to determine if goats can help the resort manage the height of vegetation on the ski slopes (lower vegetation requires less snow for coverage - meaning an earlier ski season!). Brad Robinson, Squaw-Alpine’s environmental manager, is a graduate of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. His experience at Cal Poly's Swanton Pacific Ranch convinced him that livestock could be an effective tool.

Brad and Nathan had turned goats out on the slopes on Monday. On Tuesday, I arrived at about the same time as Nathan's wife, Kaitlyn - who had two Big White Dogs in the back seat of her truck. Brad and Nathan reported that the goats had been restless during their first trip up the mountain. While the goats were herded during the day, they were penned in electro-net for the first night. According to Brad and Nathan, neither goats nor herders got much sleep the first night; coyotes on the outside of the night pen kept them up most of the night. After daylight, both Brad and Nathan observed coyotes near the goats. Which is why Kaitlyn was delivering dogs on Tuesday.

We put the dogs in the back of Brad's truck and drove up to the goats on Tuesday afternoon. Nathan and Kaitlyn led the dogs down to the goats and gently pushed the herd upslope. Brad had indicated that the goats had moved uphill rapidly the day before; on Tuesday, with the dogs, they ambled up the mountain, grazing as they went. Both Brad and Nathan reported this morning that the dogs and the goats seemed much more relaxed - both goats and herders got some sleep last night. Brad texted that the dogs chased a coyote out of camp last night; Nathan sent a photo of the dogs and the goats comfortably grazing the ski slope - held in place by high quality forage rather than any fences.

As I thought about these experiences, I think that the livestock were more confident because they with with dogs they knew. The sheep near Stampede continued to graze contentedly even once they spotted an unknown human (me) in close proximity. Their dog knew I was there - and I'm sure the sheep knew that he knew - and so they were confident that they were safe. At Squaw Valley, I could almost see the goats heave a collective sigh of relief when the dogs arrived - and their subsequent grazing behavior suggested that the dogs helped them settle into a new environment.

There is a risk, I realize, in anthropomorphizing these observations. Trust and confidence seem like human emotions. That said, there is scientific literature that supports my observations. Research conducted at the U.S. Sheep Center in Dubois, Idaho, suggests that "that ewes grazing with accompanying LGD will travel greater daily distances compared with ewes grazing without LGD accompaniment. As a result of traveling greater distances, ewes may also be exposed to more and varied foraging opportunities." (Webber et al. 2015). For me, these observations suggest that the bonding process works both ways. I've always focused on bonding our dogs with our sheep; I'm coming to realize that the sheep (or any other livestock) must bond with their dogs, as well.

In the coming weeks, I hope to post some videos of my observations. In the meantime, I hope other producers will share their experiences (good and bad) in using livestock guardian dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment