Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Scariest Weekend of the Year

I awoke this morning to the realization that it was time for me to write my annual plea regarding fireworks and the 4th of July (see Living with Wildfire or Nervous).  As I write this post, significant portions of California are on fire - and our wildfire season has only just begun.  Closest to home, the Trailhead Fire has consumed more than 3,000 acres about 15 miles east of our home.

I'll admit that I enjoy a good, professionally orchestrated fireworks show.  For several years now, my family has gone to see the Sacramento River Cats play baseball on July 3 - both because we enjoy baseball and because the team puts on an outstanding fireworks display.  But living in the foothills - and running sheep on annual grasslands (which are tinder dry by this time of year) makes me nervous around Independence Day.  One careless spark could mean disaster.

And so here's my plea: if you live in the Sierra foothills and you want to enjoy fireworks, please (PLEASE) go somewhere and watch a professional show.  Don't take a chance on starting a fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment