Thursday, November 28, 2013

Gratitude

I think that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Not only does it mark the beginning of my favorite season - for me, it's a day to consciously reflect on all the things (big and small) that I'm grateful for.  The food isn't too bad, either!

This year, I want to do a simple list of all that I'm thankful for.  It's not an all-inclusive list, but here it is:

I'm thankful for my family - immediate and extended.

I'm grateful that I get to do the work of farming with my girls and my wife.

I'm thankful for the community of farmers that I've had the privilege of joining.

I'm thankful for the older generation of farmers who have shared their wisdom, experience and humor with me.

I'm grateful that I get to work outside nearly every day.

I'm thankful for the sights, sounds, smells and experiences that come with working outside.

I"m grateful for the food that will be on our table tonight - and for the food that graces our table everyday.  I'm especially grateful to the people who do the work of growing our food.

I'm thankful for my dogs.  Somebody told me that there are no great shepherds without great dogs.  I aspire to be the great shepherd my dogs deserve!

I'm thankful for my sheep.  They are the reason I get to work outdoors everyday!

As the weather grows colder, I'm thankful for wool!  I'm thankful for all of the people between the shearer and the seamstress that make wool clothing possible!

I'm thankful that I live in a time and place where my freedom to express myself, to worship (or not) in the place and way of my choosing, and to elect my representatives are protected.  I often take these freedoms for granted.

I'm thankful for the men and women through history who have fought and died for these freedoms.

I'm thankful to be sitting in front of a computer with a roof over my head and a fire in the woodstove this morning!

I'm grateful for my new job as a shepherd at McCormack Ranch.  I'm grateful to be making a pastoral living.

I'm thankful....

No comments:

Post a Comment