Skip to main content

Ernie's Progress - Days ?

Yesterday marked Ernie’s first real day as “the dog” - we had lots of work to do, and Ernie was the only dog available.  And last night, Ernie discovered the other side of tired.

First, I should describe the work we needed to complete.  First, we moved 125 ewes from Shanley Hill to our corrals - a walk of about 1.25 miles.  I used both Mo and Ernie, but Mo came up lame about halfway there, so the job was up to Ernie to complete.  Then, we put all of the ewes through the corrals and into the footbath - we were sorting off thin ewes to put on irrigated pasture prior to breeding.  After we sorted these ewes, we walked the thin ewes about ⅓ of a mile to our irrigated pasture.  Then we loaded the rest of the ewes in the trailer and hauled them to another property, where Ernie had to move them about ¼ mile from the trailer to their paddock.  The last chore involved taking the cull ewes about 200 yards from the corrals to a patch of green grass.

The first stretch of work started like most of Ernie’s efforts - he had more energy than he needed, and he wanted to be at the head of the flock at all times.  After correcting him a few times, his attempts to get to the sheeps’ heads were at least a bit more under control - he started making wider flanks (and realizing, I think, that he was controlling the flock’s movement at a greater distance than he is used to).  On several occasions, I was able to get him to drive the flock from behind - staying with me instead of constantly trying to stay on balance.

His work in the corrals was pretty decent - he did try to work without being asked sometimes, but he really tried to listen to me.  Often, I’ll use Mo to walk into the sheep in the alley to encourage forward movement.  Ernie didn’t quite get this, but he tried - and I realized that Mo didn’t quite get it at first either.  That recognition, I think, helped me cut Ernie some slack!

The walk to irrigated pasture started much like our earlier walk - Ernie wanted to be on balance.  I had my oldest daughter, Lara, walk the guard dog on a leash to lead the flock.  After Ernie raced to their heads several times, I asked Lara to give him a harsh correction.  It worked wonders - I was too far away to offer such a correction, but Lara’s hard voice shocked Ernie.  After that, he listened much better - except when we moved the sheep through a gate.  I think gates are like venturis - sheep and dogs seem to speed up when they are going through a tight space!  Ernie couldn’t help himself - he tried to get to the head of the flock.  However, Lara and I both corrected him, and he started listening again.  As we put the flock into our electric-fenced paddock, I even had to send Ernie on a flank that was counter to what his instincts were telling him.  He took the flank and brought the wayward sheep back to the opening in the fence.

Loading the ewes in the trailer and moving them down the road - our next task - wasn’t pretty, but we got it done.  While I was dropping off the trailer at the house, Ernie crashed - I’ve never seen him so tired.  Nonetheless, he jumped in the truck when I told him to load up!  

Our final chore yesterday involved moving about 15 cull ewes out of the corrals, through a narrow gate and into a new paddock.  I decided that we’d try some schooling - I’d insist that Ernie make good decisions about his flanks.  I was really pleased!  He opened out and tried to stay out of the sheeps’ flight zone until I asked him to make contact with them.  He took my lie down commands quietly, and he even waited until the ewes walked calmly through the narrow gate before flanking again to turn them into the paddock.  He then returned to the truck and slept!  While Ernie usually spends the night in the garage, I let him sleep in the house last night.  He didn’t make a peep!

Today, he still seems very tired - he found shady spots in which to rest at every stop today!  I did ask him to bring the ewes and lambs into a fresh paddock this afternoon.  His flank was the right shape (if a little too close), and he took my lie down to let the sheep walk through the opening.  Most importantly, he let me call him off when we were done with today’s little bit of work.

I’m hoping we’ve turned a corner.  I know there’s lots of work - and a fair bit of frustration - ahead for both of us, but I think it helped Ernie to realize that there was more work than he could do on his own yesterday - he needed to listen in order for the work to be manageable.  We’ll see!


  1. A friend posted a great quote on facebook, which I think should be shared here:

    The best thing for a dog that wants to do too much is to give him too much to do!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trade Offs

As we were building fence for the soon-to-be-lambing ewes this morning, someone drove by and asked my partner Roger how long it took to set up the electro-net fencing we use for the sheep. Roger replied, "It's not too bad," to which the driver said, "Seems like a lot of work." Roger's answer - which both of us use with some frequency, was, "Yeah - but this way we don't have to feed any hay!" The driver, who obviously wasn't a rancher, didn't understand - and I suspect even some of my rancher friends don't understand the trade off we're making. Building electric fence is a lot of work - wouldn't it be easier just to feed hay?

The paddock that Roger and I built this morning encloses about 5.75 acres of high quality forage. Since the ewes are on the verge of lambing, their forage demand is peaking. They're eating nearly twice as much grass now as they need in the late summer - after all, many of them eating for three (and p…

No Easy Answers Part 2

In mid October, some friends who graze their cattle in the mountains of western Lassen County (less than 200 miles from our home), became the first ranchers to have cattle “officially” killed by wolves in California in nearly a century. Wildlife officials confirmed that the Lassen pack killed a 600-pound heifer; four more heifers died (and were partially eaten by wolves), but the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) couldn’t confirm the cause of death. While I learned about the depredations shortly after they happened through the rancher grapevine, news of my friends’ losses weren’t made public until the California Cattlemen’s Association and California Farm Bureau Federation issued a joint press release this week. The October 28 edition of the Sacramento Bee ran the story.
If you’ve read my previous blogs about wolves, you’ll probably know that I’ve frequently been frustrated with the Bee’s coverage. The paper has run guest opinions disguised as news articles, and appar…

Humbled and Excited

More than 20 years ago, I went to work for the California Cattlemen's Association (CCA). After two internships, I'd been hired by my friend and mentor John Braly as the membership director in 1992. By 1996, I'd been promoted to assistant vice president - pretty heady stuff for a young guy who hadn't grown up in the industry. I started looking for new challenges. Dr. Jim Oltjen, who was (and is) the beef extension specialist at UC Davis (my undergraduate alma mater) suggested that I think about going to graduate school to prepare for a career in extension. I considered it, but the timing wasn't right.

Fast forward to 2013 (or so) - I'd been working as a part-time community education specialist in our local University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) office for several years. The farm advisors in the office - Roger Ingram and Cindy Fake - suggested that I consider getting a master's degree and applying for a future farm advisor job. This time the id…