Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful Today

Today (and always), I'm thankful for my family - for Sami, Lara and Emma.  For my extended family - my parents, my sister and her family and for Sami's family.

Today, I'm thankful for my friends, near and far.  I'm grateful for their support, their help - their friendship. I'm thankful that "neighbor" is an active verb in my community.

I'm thankful for the incredible meal we'll eat this afternoon, and for the people that grew, processed, transported and sold our food.  I'm grateful that I know many of these folks personally - and count a number of them as friends.  I'm thankful that I'm an active participant in my community's food system.

I'm thankful to live in a state and a country where most of us can take our food (and so many other freedoms) for granted - we're pretty unique in this respect.

Today, I'm thankful for the chance to work outside nearly every day.  I'm grateful for the sheep that help make my living.  I'm especially thankful for my dogs - my border collies that make my sheep work enjoyable, my guardian dogs that protect our sheep day-in and day-out.

Today, I'm thankful to have a roof over my head to keep me dry, a fire in the woodstove to keep me warm, and enough material goods (probably more than I need) to keep me comfortable.

I'm thankful for the gifts of music and art and humor - I can't imagine life without singing and laughing.

Thanksgiving is a day to focus on what we have, rather than what we need.  For me, the day is a reminder to show gratitude all year.  What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment