Sunday, July 1, 2012

Robert Burns' Perspective on Shepherds

I suspect that most folks know Robert Burns by his poem "Auld Lang Syne" - we at least think of the Scottish poet at the end of every year.  I don't know much more about Burns, but as a fan of Scottish music, I've learned a bit about his poetry.  I especially like the version of his "A Man's a Man for a' That" by the Scottish band The Old Blind Dogs.  Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I was able to download a recording of "The Shepherd's Wife" (a Burns poem) by Jim Malcolm (one-time front man for The Old Blind Dogs).  Here's a translation of the poem:  http://www.worldburnsclub.com/poems/translations/511.htm

As a modern day shepherd, I know that I'm guilty of working long past the time when I should be home! Some things don't change!

No comments:

Post a Comment