Skip to main content

Lost Dogs and Social Media

Wednesday afternoon, a fairly intense (at least for our Sierra Nevada foothill region) thunderstorm blew through Auburn.  We had lightning, thunder, wind, heavy rain and even some small hail.  The storm was intense enough and close enough that I decided to wait to finish building electric fence for the sheep until it passed - something I posted on facebook just for fun.

When we fed our animals at home on Wednesday evening, we discovered that Lara's border collie Mo was missing.  Remembering the intensity of the afternoon's storm, we assumed that he was hiding from the thunder.  After we failed to find him hiding around the farm, we made an increasingly frantic search of our immediate neighborhood.  Lara and I drove with the windows open, calling Mo's name.  Sami went door-to-door asking if anyone had seen him. No luck.  We all went to bed worried and upset. Before going to bed, I posted photos of Mo on facebook, asking friends and fans of our farm to keep an eye out for him.  I also sent an email to friends who know Mo, again asking for help.

Thursday morning, we awoke to numerous offers of help in our email in-boxes and on facebook.  In fact, my posts about Mo probably received more response than anything I've ever posted on facebook.  In the end, however, it was old fashioned face-to-face networking that returned Mo to Flying Mule Farm.

Before leaving to take Lara to school, we printed missing dog posters, offering a reward for Mo's return.  I left posters at several local businesses, and Sami posted them in our neighborhood as she took Emma to school.  Emma took one to her teacher (who lives nearby) - and her teacher immediately called Sami to tell her that she'd seen Mo that morning, frantically trotting down the county road in front of our place.  Sami and I both started walking the community and calling for Mo.  I stopped at several homes and asked neighbors if they'd seen him - at least one other person had seen him that morning as well.  Our county animal control offered to help search as well.

By 10:30, Sami needed to get to an appointment, but she decided to stop at a nearby small animal hospital to leave a poster.  The receptionist looked at the photo and said, "We have that dog here."  As anyone who has lost (and found) a pet knows, we were all overjoyed.  Mo spent the rest of the morning going on calls with Sami, and he spent the afternoon moving sheep with me.  My facebook posts and emails announcing his return received even more response than the first posts!

As I've written here and elsewhere previously, part of the reason I farm is that I love working with animals.  While I've never been without a dog in the nearly 45 years I've been alive, my relationship with my working dogs runs much deeper than any relationship I've ever had with a pet.  My working dogs are my daily companions and working partners - I'm constantly amazed at their instinct, their courage and their stamina.  The potential loss of one of our partners was an awful feeling.  His return was truly an joyous occasion.  As Mo and Taff helped me move one of our flocks to a new pasture about a mile up the road yesterday, I couldn't help but think that Mo was feeling relieved and joyous as well!

The other interesting part of this entire episode for me was the sense of community that I felt.  Our friends and colleagues, both local and virtual (that is, our on-line "community") offered tremendous support and help.  My friend Roger Ingram, for example, offered to help search for Mo at 9:30 on Wednesday night.  Others made special trips to and through our neighborhood watching for him.  I'm certain that the thoughts and prayers of friends from outside our geographic area had something to do with Mo's safe return.

Tonight, Sami will put microchips in all of our dogs.  From now on, we'll make sure that Mo is safely with us if a thunderstorm approaches.  And we'll be much more aware of our connections with our community.  Thank you all!


  1. I saw a sign for your dog at the java place on Fullwieler and 49 yesterday. I asked the girls there, "Is that a Flying Mule Farm dog?" I was really worried for you guys. I'm so happy that you have Mo home now!!! <3


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trade Offs

As we were building fence for the soon-to-be-lambing ewes this morning, someone drove by and asked my partner Roger how long it took to set up the electro-net fencing we use for the sheep. Roger replied, "It's not too bad," to which the driver said, "Seems like a lot of work." Roger's answer - which both of us use with some frequency, was, "Yeah - but this way we don't have to feed any hay!" The driver, who obviously wasn't a rancher, didn't understand - and I suspect even some of my rancher friends don't understand the trade off we're making. Building electric fence is a lot of work - wouldn't it be easier just to feed hay?

The paddock that Roger and I built this morning encloses about 5.75 acres of high quality forage. Since the ewes are on the verge of lambing, their forage demand is peaking. They're eating nearly twice as much grass now as they need in the late summer - after all, many of them eating for three (and p…

No Easy Answers Part 2

In mid October, some friends who graze their cattle in the mountains of western Lassen County (less than 200 miles from our home), became the first ranchers to have cattle “officially” killed by wolves in California in nearly a century. Wildlife officials confirmed that the Lassen pack killed a 600-pound heifer; four more heifers died (and were partially eaten by wolves), but the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) couldn’t confirm the cause of death. While I learned about the depredations shortly after they happened through the rancher grapevine, news of my friends’ losses weren’t made public until the California Cattlemen’s Association and California Farm Bureau Federation issued a joint press release this week. The October 28 edition of the Sacramento Bee ran the story.
If you’ve read my previous blogs about wolves, you’ll probably know that I’ve frequently been frustrated with the Bee’s coverage. The paper has run guest opinions disguised as news articles, and appar…

Humbled and Excited

More than 20 years ago, I went to work for the California Cattlemen's Association (CCA). After two internships, I'd been hired by my friend and mentor John Braly as the membership director in 1992. By 1996, I'd been promoted to assistant vice president - pretty heady stuff for a young guy who hadn't grown up in the industry. I started looking for new challenges. Dr. Jim Oltjen, who was (and is) the beef extension specialist at UC Davis (my undergraduate alma mater) suggested that I think about going to graduate school to prepare for a career in extension. I considered it, but the timing wasn't right.

Fast forward to 2013 (or so) - I'd been working as a part-time community education specialist in our local University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) office for several years. The farm advisors in the office - Roger Ingram and Cindy Fake - suggested that I consider getting a master's degree and applying for a future farm advisor job. This time the id…